Most of us eat watermelon because it’s delish (and is there anything more refreshing on a hot day?). It’s also good for us, filled with more lycopene than tomatoes (15-20 mg per 2-cup serving), and it’s an excellent source of vitamsin A, B6, and C. Also, thanks to amino acids citrulline and arginine, watermelon helps maintain a healthy heart.
The press kit offers a few tips on picking the best watermelon available:
- Choose a firm, symmetrical watermelon free of bruises, cuts, and dents.
- Lift it up. It should feel heavy for its size—watermelons are, after all, 92% water.
- Turn it over. On the underside should be a creamy, yellow spot (the “ground spot”) from where it sat on the ground and ripened in the sun.
Watermelon Cherry Mojito
- 3 fresh mint sprigs, chopped
- 1/4 cup watermelon puree
- 1 tsp cherry syrup
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 oz light rum
- Chilled sparkling water
- 1 sugar cane stirrer
- 1 lime wedge