- 1 T. butter
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, small dice
- 1 sprig thyme
- 8 Nantes carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1t. turmeric
- 5 C. chicken stock
- 1 C. heavy cream
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 t. sherry vinegar
- Salt and white pepper
- French bread croutons
- Finely grated horseradish
- In a medium saucepot, heat butter over medium heat. Add onions and thyme and cook for 2 minutes, allowing no color to develop. Add carrots and turmeric and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Add chicken stock and simmer for 25 to 35 minutes, then add heavy cream, cooking gently for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove form heat and discard sprig of thyme. Puree the soup in small batches, being careful as always with hot liquid. Add the lemon juice, sherry vinegar, salt and white pepper to taste. For a smooth finish, press the puree through a chinois or fine strainer.
- Serve with French bread croutons and a dusting of horseradish. Serves 6.