Here's a list of the 2013 top-rated Best of Show winners:
- Golden State Winery of the Year: South Coast Winery
- Best of Show Red (Double Gold, 98 points): Imagery Estate Winery 2010 Cabernet Franc
- Best of Show White (Double Gold, 98 points): Korbel NV Blanc de Noirs Methode Champenoise
- Best of Show Dessert (Double Gold, 96 points): Navarro Vineyards, 2012 Gewurtztraminer Cluster Select Late Harvest
- Best Value (Double Gold, 98 points): Barefoot Cellars NV Moscato
A list of all winners is supposedly on the official State Fair site, but I couldn't find it. I'm guessing they just haven't had a chance to upload it yet. Hopefully that will happen soon. Look for it at bigfun.org.
I know a few people who await this list every year. As soon as it's published they grab copies and set off shopping, buying cases of heretofore "undiscovered" value wines--that is, wines nobody's heard about that are comparatively inexpensive. Once they win a medal they don't stay that way--so go shopping soon.
The 2013 California State Fair runs July 12-July 28 at Cal Expo in Sacramento. Check it out at bigfun.org.